Neurotrauma Legal Issues
Addressing Legal Needs to Improve Lives
Brain injuries (BIs) and Spinal Cord Injuries (SCIs) change lives. Forever. No matter the source of injury – whether trauma resulting from a fall, a car crash, work injury or other accident, neurotoxins, or illness – the individual’s memory, personality and ability to function mentally or physically may be permanently altered. There will be special medical and legal needs requiring prompt, effective attention. There are many other factors, such as the role of the survivor’s family and the possibility of crucial evidence being overlooked, that are important to understand and address to ensure the highest quality of life for a BI or SCI survivor. This is where the neurolawyer comes in.
- What factors cause or contributed to the injury?
- Did the injury result from the wrongful acts of another?
- Will the survivor require long term in-home care or extensive rehabilitation services?
- Will the survivor and/or family be eligible for disability benefits, or other insurance-based benefits or compensation?
- What if the injury results in overwhelming cognitive deficits – who will act on behalf of the survivor? Should a legal guardian be appointed?
- I think I know how it happened. Should I still consult with a lawyer, or more particularly, a neurolawyer about what has happened?